Wednesday, June 28, 2017

A Beauty Like Nature

Over the last few weeks, I have had the pleasure to spend some time in nature. What I used not to see in nature I see now. I see beauty. I see raw. I see real. I see perfection. I see peace. Nature has the capacity to make me feel free, to de-stress and to give me balance. I feel an alignment with creation when I am with nature.

Who created us? Answers might be many or just one. But whatever is your answer, it must be the same that created us humans. As I was walking, hiking and just sitting among trees, flowers and the wood, I realized that nature is perfect in its imperfection. Think about how the trees are not symmetrical. The leaves are not all the same color. The trunk is rough. The grass is green and dry. But all that together creates that beauty.

And I said to myself, “What a beautiful creation!” Why not to see ourselves like that? Our wrinkles, our shapes, our colors, our asymmetrical beauty. Who decided to make us feel imperfect? If we admire so much the imperfection of nature, why is that we can’t do the same with ourselves?

I don’t try to fix the mismatching of nature. But I do try to fix my own mismatch. What would happen if we see humans exactly the way we see nature? When I asked that to myself, I came up first with the idea that I don’t judge nature. What a beauty to be able to see just love, just beauty without the perfection we were trained to see.

Nature doesn’t know when it ends or when it starts. We have old trees that make it for years and others don’t. Nature lives in the present. Nature is as it is and nothing more or less. Nature is as big or small as you want to see. Nature lets go. Nature gives and receives.

Nature never stops to amaze me. In the last few weeks, I keep being surprised by it. Nature talks to me when I am down and when I am up. Nature understands my fears and yet does not judge. Nature is old and young at the same time. I feel an unconditional love by it.

If we would see our friends, family and the rest of the world like nature, we would have a totally different concept of beauty in humans. Imagine admiring an old lady’s wrinkles. Imagine admiring all those bones that are curved the way we admire those complicated branches of a tree.

I am talking here not of our backyard or our garden but of just getting into the wild. Here in Colorado, I don’t have to go far to find nature. I am so grateful for that.

Nature slows me down. Nature is my temple sometimes. How is it that I have just discovered this affair when I was in my thirties? I really don’t know. I guess I was distracted trying to fit in with regular life. My regular life was career, my knowledge, my bank account, my retirement, my friends, my car, etc.

The little I knew is that none of that would make me feel safe, peaceful and joyful as my new friend nature does.

I wish I would be more comfortable with nature sometimes. I find in nature a lot more that I want, bugs and spiders for example, which I hate. But I also find deer and bunnies, which I love. Nature can make me feel powerful and powerless at the same time.

Two weeks ago, I spent time in the mountains. A week ago, I went hiking for miles. This coming weekend we are camping in Dinosaur National Park. I don’t know what to expect. I might come back and say that I hate nature, but I doubt it. I want to be surprised. I want to admire those perfect imperfections and learn to admire myself and others the same way.

I challenge you to go out to nature if you can. Just sit and look around you. Let nature guide you with its beauty to that place of love, your heart. Breathe and let go of whatever is in your mind that worries you.

Sometimes I just feel like nature. Being all over the place, with the old surface and not knowing what is next. Being lonely and yet surrounded by much. Imperfect in the perfection.  

I hope I keep feeling this way in the years to come. I hope I can show to my son what I see in nature and hopefully he can be as free with his perfect imperfections.

Inhale and exhale; nature is yours!

Me





No comments:

Post a Comment